Resume / Bio
JORGE L. ALIÓ MD, PhD, FEBO
PROFESSIONAL BIOSKETCH AND SUMMARIZED CV
Prof. Dr. Jorge Alió, has been Professor and Chairman of Ophthalmology since 1987, first at the University of Alicante and since 2002 at the University Miguel Hernández of Elche, also in Alicante, Spain. Currently he is academically serving in Universidad Miguel Hernández as Professor and Chairman of Ophthalmology and Director of the Iberia Biobank and Biodata created jointly with the funding of the National Network of Clinical Research (OFTARED, National Health Institute Carlos III), where he is the Coordinator of Eye Diopter Research. His clinical services as an ophthalmic clinician and surgeon are provided in ‘Vissum Instituto Oftalmológico de Alicante’ (Founded by Dr. Alió in 2004), ‘Grupo Miranza’.
He has been Graduate with Honors from: Universidad Complutense, Madrid (1976); PhD, Universidad Autónoma, Madrid (with Honors & Award of the Spanish Society of Ophthalmology) and Ophthalmology Degree in Universidad Autónoma, Madrid (1980); Postdoctorate Fellow at the Wilmer Eye Institute, Johns Hopkins University (1985-86); Assistant, Professor Universidad Autónoma, Madrid and Salamanca University (1976-83); Full Professor Salamanca University (1983-86); Professor and Chairman of Ophthalmology University of Alicante (1987-97); and finally Professor and Chairman University Miguel Hernández of Elche (Alicante), Spain (1997-present).
Since the beginning of his professional career, he has been vocationally involved in ophthalmic academic and research activities in combination with an intense clinical and surgical practice. His main dedication has been to Cataract, Cornea and Refractive Surgery. As an ophthalmic surgeon, and has performed over 55.000 ocular surgeries during his surgical career. He is member of the American Ophthalmological Society (AOS) in which he was accepted with his second doctorate in Regenerative Advanced Therapies in Corneal Regeneration in 2019.
Throughout his career and arising from his clinical research activities, he has been the author or co-author of 669 peer review papers (world of science peer review indexed international scientific journals), 384 book chapters, 99 books (as editor or co-editor), and over 2.106 presentations and invited lectures in international meetings. The Hirsch factor (h-factor) 68 (Scopus). He has received over 100 international and national awards and recognitions and he actively collaborates in a number of Executive Boards and Editorial Boards of international scientific ophthalmological publications.
Prof Alió, academically also holds Chairs at the Academia Ophthalmologica Internationalis and the European Academy of Ophthalmology. He has directed a total of 76 PhD doctorate university projects. He is the Founder and Director since 2016 of the online University Expert Course ‘Refractive, Cataract and Cornea Surgery’ (University Miguel Hernández) which involves 275 multimedia teaching activities and the acknowledged level of University Expert by University Miguel Hernández (Spain) and the ISRS/AAO.
As a clinical ophthalmic scientist, he has been acknowledged as the author with the highest impact factor in clinical research in the subject of Cataract over the last 5 years by The Ophthalmologist (February 2014, 2016, 2018). He was listed as the author with the highest impact factor in the field of Keratoconus over the last 5 years by The Ophthalmologist (June 2014). Also, he was listed in the Power List as one of the 100 most influential doctors in Ophthalmology (The Ophthalmologist, 2014, 2016, 2018). Prof. Alió has been recently acknowledged in 2019 by ‘Expertscape’ (www.expertscape.com) as listed number 1 in scientific reference publications in Refractive Surgery, Cataract Extraction, Cornea, Anterior Eye Segment, Intraocular Lens Implantation, Ophthalmological Surgical Procedures, and number 2 in Refractive Errors, Visual Acuity, Laser Corneal Surgery, Laser therapy and LASIK.
Concerning humanitarian services, he is the Founder of the Foundation that bears his name, dedicated to the promotion of the prevention of blindness which carries out its activities both in Spain and on international levels, particularly in Mauritania where a Center for Sight (UBASO) was created in 2010. Since 2018 to the present moment this project evolved into the Nouadhibou Vision Project / Jorge Alió Foundation, offering humanitarian ophthalmic services in the only eye center existing so far in Mauritania. He is the Honorary President of the patient’s association for the assistance of the visually handicapped ‘Acción Visión España’ and has been also involved and is today active in many social national and European civilian organizations.
Prof. Alió is member of Rotary Club International. He has been twice President of the Rotary Club of Alicante and has received four times the Paul Harris Rotarian Fellowship award and the ‘Llama Rotaria Award’ for distinguished services.
He is married to Maria López and he is father of 4 children, one of them also an MD PhD Academic and Clinical Ophthalmologist.
MAIN AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS:
- Arruga Award (Sociedad Española de Oftalmología, 1990)
- Rayner Medal (UKIRS, 2002)
- 2 Kelman Awards (Video Refractive Milan, 2003 / Hellenic Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery HSCRS, 2008)
- The Strampelli Award (International Refractive Surgery Society IRSS, 2007)
- Senior and Secretariat Awards of the AAO (2008)
- 2 Barraquer Awards (ISRS/AAO, 2009 / Keratomileusis Study Group KMSG, 2010)
- Guillermo Pico Award (Sociedad Puertorriqueña de Oftalmología SPO, 2009)
- Torchbearer Award (Corneal Research Foundation CRFA, 2010)
- Lifetime Achievement Award (ISRS/AAO, 2012)
- Waring Medal (Slack inc., 2012)
- Bober Ans Award (Danish Ophthalmological Society, 2012)
- APAO Achievement Award (AECOS Joseph Colin Award, 2016)
- AAO Lifetime Achievement Honor Award (2018)
- National Research Award Alberto Sols (Spain, 2019)
MAIN INTERNATIONAL SCIENTIFIC SOCIETIES COLLABORATIONS:
- International Ocular Inflammation Society (IOIS): Founder, General Secretary and Chairman
- European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (ESCRS): elected Board Member twice in two different terms
- American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO), through International Society of Refractive Surgery (ISRS): General Secretary (2003-2006) and President (2006-2008)
- World Ophthalmology Congress (WOC): Executive Board in two terms
- European Vision Institute (EVICR.net): Founder and Board Member since its creation in 2006